Week 13 Response

Growing up, I never really read much ‘young adult’ literature. I always read 3 to 4 grade levels above my grade, so I started reading adult books by the time I was in middle school. I went from middle readers to adult, and never really gave young adult books much of a thought. I wasn’t into Harry Potter, nor was I into Twilight or The Hunger Games.

I will admit that I was one of those people who used to wonder why grown adults would be reading juvenile literature and young adult literature, and I thought it a bit strange. “Why is this grown adult reading books meant for teens?” And then I read the Divergent series. Followed by Twilight. And then The Hunger Games. With each book I started seeing the appeal of YA literature a little bit more. When I started working in the library’s Children department, we were required to read a book from each section to familiarize ourselves with the collection and the materials as a whole. I also made it a personal and professional goal to read TWO juvenile books a month and found some really great reads and authors I’d never heard of before.

Looking back on the young adult books available when I was a teenager, I can see a difference between what was written then and what’s been written and continues to be written today. There are actually some really good YA series and standalone books available that I personally would read and have added to my TBR list.

The best way we as librarians can work to ensure that we’re able to serve adults who enjoy YA literature or graphic novels is to first and foremost be as neutral and non-judgmental as possible. It’s not our place to judge people for what they want to read, and we should be excited that adults are reading. I’d like to see libraries perhaps create book clubs for adults that focus on YA reads and graphic novels. Libraries are a space where people can just come and BE their most true, authentic selves and feel supported and seen, and with the current legislation and bills being passed and laws restricting much of these freedoms, libraries are probably the safest and most neutral spaces for our patrons right now. And books are for everyone, regardless of your age, gender, sex, etc.

There are so many adults who have re-discovered their love of reading because of YA and graphic novel reads, and one of the things I’ve discovered about the newer young adult novels and graphic novels is that they teach us about life and often discuss issues that adult novels either gloss over or ignore entirely. The authors aren’t afraid to go there with topics like rape, violence, challenging the status quo, speaking out on racism, LGBTQIA issues, self-esteem and body issues, etc.

And if you look at the banned book lists, you’ll notice that the majority of books that are being banned are ones written for young adults. There’s a reason for that. Libraries need to continue purchasing and supplying these materials to patrons because if we don’t, we’re essentially practicing censorship on the highest level.

Comments

  1. Gabrielle,
    I love your description of libraries being a place for people to just BE. I sound like a broken record every time I say this, but its not our place to judge anyone who comes in the library. This includes what a patron decides to read, I know I've had people look at a grown person who has an intellectual disability getting picture books and think that's not okay. I am not going to throw stones at glass walls, because I do not want that judgement so why would anyone else do it. It does make you stop to think about the banned books and books that are being challenged are more written for youth and teen.
    More books today deal with horrific issues, but those issues are someone's story that the author is trying to tell so that they can be understood through the eyes of a teen. I think society is trying so hard to protect the "innocence", and keep them protected, but end up causing more trouble than doing good.
    Great Insight,
    Bre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabrielle,
    Censorship makes me so angry, especially after hearing about that library in Michigan that will probably close because voters wouldn't support funding them because they wouldn't pull books from their shelves. I don't understand how this is coming from the party who constantly harps on about their freedom of speech. I guess that doesn't apply to libraries. If you don't want your kids reading something, don't check it out. But you don't get to make that decision for all the other kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a similar journey in reading. I read a lot of adult fantasy as a teenager because I read well and didn't care for the topics in books meant for middle school kids and honestly don't remember any specific book meant for high school when I was in High school, except for the English class books. When I was in college I discovered the same YA series and also initially resisted. I felt part of the appeal was that they were easy to read and engrossing, unlike all the heavy reading in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabrielle,
    I completely agree, being supportive and as non-opinionated as usual is the best way to make adults borrowing books from the YA section should be supported. Theres so many important social justice genres that are being written about now as you mentioned, authors are being able to publish content for more neutral spaces. If more of the YA books were advertised for adult readers, they would circulate more!
    -Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post and very well stated. Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11 - Western Annotation - Lonesome Dove

My 2023 Book Club Experience

Week 14 Response - To Separate or Not to Separate - Urban Fiction & LGBTQ