Week 15 Response

Week 15 Discussion Prompt

   1)  One of my favorite ways to market our library’s fiction collection is using physical displays. There are so many fun and creative ways to go about drawing patrons’ attention to new books, but also older titles as well. The more creative a display can be, the better. It’s a way to engage patrons while also helping to circulate lesser-known materials. My public library uses displays at all locations and for a variety of holidays, seasons, and events. When I worked in our Children’s department, creating displays was one of my favorite things to do. It was also a way for me to become more familiar with our juvenile titles. In February, I created a kid’s version of the ‘Blind Date with a Book’ display. With this display I pulled titles from all genres (juvenile, middle reader, picture books, playaways, non-fiction, graphic novel). I made sure to include some of our newer titles, but also titles that patrons may overlook. This was the talk of the library for quite some time with both patrons and staff. I was also able to create a display for National Child Abuse Prevention Month in which books about consent, proper touch, etc. were featured. It received much praise from visitors to the library and they appreciated raising awareness in a safe way for children and adults alike.

2)    Another way to market the library’s fiction collection would be with Reader’s Advisory. I’d like to see more libraries training staff at all levels on Reader’s Advisory tools and how to better help patrons find materials they are looking for. I learned in my Reference and Information course at the beginning of my MLIS degree path that libraries have dedicated individuals focusing specifically on Reader’s Advisory within libraries, but unfortunately these positions are often the first to be removed when budget or funding cuts take place, and that these tasks and skills are expected of general library staff along with librarians.

Currently, my own public library has one individual dedicated to providing Reader’s Advisory for the library. She is considered part of our administrative team in that her position is primarily virtual and she is rarely out in public with our patrons. There is an online form on our website that patrons can fill out when looking for their next read, but Reader’s Advisory is a better experience when done in person. It also means that for patrons who do not utilize the form or know that it exists, they are going directly to library staff for assistance who may not know how to use specific RA tools like NoveList. Everyone is capable of making recommendations and most of us typically do it without even thinking about it, but to really get into the thick of RA takes time and often a lot of training as well to be able to provide a great experience.

What I would like to see as part of the RA experience in my own library is the creation and implementation of personalized book bags. Patrons can fill out a form about what they are looking for in terms of their next read, a dedicated RA staff member would then pull recommendations, put together a book bag, and have it ready for the patron to pick up. This is a great way to promote the library and reader’s advisory.

3)     A third way to market the library’s collection would be more outreach efforts. My library has recently started looking at ways it could be more involved in the community, which includes partnering with local organizations to bring the library to them and their customers. Someone else had mentioned the idea and implementation of ‘pop up’ libraries, which I think is a great idea. It would not only help with outreach efforts, but it would also help bring patrons to the library when they must return materials.

Comments

  1. Hi Gabrielle,
    My special topic paper was on training all library staff in readers advisory for just the reasons you mentioned. Very few libraries have dedicated R.A. staff so more often than not those that are manning the front desk, often part-timers, are called on to do RA with little or no training. We have a semi-dedicated R.A. librarian in that R.A. is one of several responsibilities she has as Information Services Librarian. ILL being among her other responsibilities. Also, we do book bags at our library and they're actually pretty popular.
    As far as outreach goes, my library partners with a number of local businesses, but one of our newest partnerships is with one of the retirement homes in our town. It's kind of a pilot program to see if we want reach out to the other retirement homes in town. It's had a few hitches, but seems to doing pretty well. Basically we pull a bunch of books and check them out on the retirement home's institutional card and they come and get them. They make them available to their residents. When they bring them back we have another set ready for them to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabrielle,
    I love that your library has an individual dedicated to Readers Advisory, I think that would be such a fun job. A lot of us at my library are good enough to get by, but this course has really helped me develop my skills, and I can tell I am much better than I was at the beginning of the semester. I also talked about taking the library out into the outside world, but pop-up library is a much better term!
    I think taking one to a Ren Fair would be a great place to bring medieval themes books!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. As to #2, I totally agree. It's frustrating when certain positions are let go and then those duties are disbursed among the other staff...but they receive no pay raise. I also am concerned when people in my classes talk about all of the reference librarian things they do as a paraprofessional. Many of them are being taken advantage of and I'm not sure they see it. For me, I'm technically a paraprofessional right now with some librarian duties HOWEVER, they do pay for all of my master's degree (unusual these days).
    That being said, I agree with you about all staff needing to receive some RA training.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11 - Western Annotation - Lonesome Dove

My 2023 Book Club Experience

Week 14 Response - To Separate or Not to Separate - Urban Fiction & LGBTQ