About Me as a Reader - My Reading Profile

According to my library patron record, I got my first library card at the ripe young age of two years old. And I’ve been reading ever since! My favorite genre by far are mysteries and thrillers, and I enjoy curling up at the end of a long day with a good cozy mystery, especially during the seasonal months. What I love about a good cozy mystery is that it’s often simple, easy to follow, and many times involves themes such as food, books, crafting, etc. It’s like a warm cup of coffee or hot chocolate for the soul.

However, a few years ago I decided to take the leap and branch out into different genres: fiction, non-fiction, juvenile/young adult, and romance. I’ve never been a ‘romance’ type of reader; I always thought them to be cliché and… smutty? Thanks to the ‘bookstagram’ community on Instagram, however, I’ve found some amazing authors whose works I really enjoy, including Emily Henry and Christina Lauren.

Speaking of ‘bookstagram,’ a few years ago I stumbled across something called the ‘bookstagram’ community on Instagram. It’s an entire community decided to readers and lovers of all things books. I created an account of my own (@acupofteaandsomemystery) at the end of 2020 and have had so much fun sharing my own book related content, connecting with fellow readers and authors, and finding even more books to add to my already gigantic TBR (to be read) list. This account and community also gave me the opportunity to connect with some of my favorite publishing houses and review sites, including BookTrib, whom I was able to write for for a time! 

Thanks in large part to the 2020 pandemic, I’ve also discovered a love for audiobooks! My job as a Processing Clerk for my local library gives me plenty of time to discover and listen to audiobooks. Favorites here include: Scrappy Little Nobody – Anna Kendrick, A Promised Land – Barack Obama, The Rural Diaries: Love, Livestock, and Big Life Lessons Down on Mischief Farm - Hilarie Burton Morgan, and The Star Crossed Sisters of Tuscany – Lori Nelson Spielman.

Favorite authors include Mary Kay Andrews, Jenn McKinlay, Diane Kelly, Emily Henry, Christina Lauren, Riley Sager, Simone St. James, and Ruth Ware.

Some of my favorite books are:

Copygirl – Anna Mitchael and Michelle Sassa

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo – Taylor Jenkins Reid

The People We Keep – Allison Larkin

Where The Crawdads Sing – Delia Owens

Before We Were Yours – Lisa Wingate

The Weekenders – Mary Kay Andrews

Front Desk (JUV) – Kelly Yang

Fifty-Four Things Wrong With Gwendolyn Rogers (JUV) – Caela Carter

November 9 – Colleen Hoover

Comments

  1. Hi Gabrielle, I also love the cozy mystery genre. Like you, I enjoy that different types of cozies go with different seasons. Last summer, I actually found a series I enjoyed set around an iced tea shop on the coast. I think the themes make them much more enjoyable, and it’s so interesting that you can find some pretty specific hobbies represented. Also, thanks for sharing about the Instagram accounts and review site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabrielle, how interesting that you can see your patron record! I am in the same boat as I work in my childhood library. I've had my card since before 2003, though I'm not sure of the exact year. My library digitized in that year, so I suspect I may have gotten a card around ten? So not quite as long as you! I'll be sure to follow you on Instagram.

    Speaking of book related social media, have you looked at BookTok at all? Colleen Hoover has a lot to thank them for. Also, you say that you like audiobooks. Have you ever listened to any Graphic Audio? They're really cool. It's nice to hear a good book acted out with sound effects and voice actors.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! I have to admit I have never checked out BookTok at all, though a few of my co-workers are quite active on there. Graphic Audio? I didn't really that was a thing! That might actually appeal to me more than a regular audiobook... do you have any you recommend???

      Delete
  3. Hi Gabrielle! I also really enjoy mysteries. Mystery is a genre I had unintentionally ignored, but after taking a genre studies course, I found it to be one of my favorites! Also- thank you for sharing ‘bookstagram’ with us! It sounds amazing, and like you have found great recommendations and connections. I will definitely be looking into it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11 - Western Annotation - Lonesome Dove

My 2023 Book Club Experience

Week 14 Response - To Separate or Not to Separate - Urban Fiction & LGBTQ